Thursday, July 10, 2008

Errrrrrr...They're Back!

Father's Day came and went this year...and NO cicadas! This is our 4th summer in Illinois. I clearly remember calling my neighbor during our 1st summer and asking her what that obnoxious noise was outside and she couldn't even hear it! And then she finally realized what I was talking about and she told me I would definitely get used to them. Well, they were a little late in their arrival this year, but they're definitely back and I haven't gotten used to them at all! I did a little research on them. There are two basic kinds of cicadas. The ones in our area must be the "Periodic" ones with a 2 to 8 year life cycle. These insects "seem" to appear every year in some areas because their life cycle is staggered. Actually a different brood is hatching each year to make it seem like they are annual. One place I was reading said that, in reference to the male cicada, "Voted least likely to need a megaphone... The male cicada makes the loudest sound in the insect world. By vibrating the ribbed plates in a pair of amplifying cavities at the base of the abdomen, the mating sound of the cicada can be heard as far as 440 yards! These insect noisemakers rarely ever stop calling for a mate. The noise from large groups of cicadas can often drown out even the noisiest lawnmower." OK, so we must have "large" groups in our backyard! This noise just grates on my nerves. Enough complaining, I got an almost 3 week reprieve this year. They're usually gone by September.

Didn't want to include a picture of my "favorite" insect because they are really quite ugly. Fortunately they stay in the trees and not too many come very close to the house. Instead, I've included a picture of my favorite little "toy". My kids bought me this for Christmas last year and I must say I was a little nervous at first. Not being the least bit technologically minded, I'm still not quite sure how all of it works, but I'm learning. And I LOVE to use it while out jogging. It makes the time go by so much nicer! Thanks kids.


2 comments:

Beth said...

I laughed out loud when I read this...you and your cicadas! It definitely brought back memories! I just realized that I don't think cicadas live in Houston. I haven't heard them for a long time!

Mom and Sarah said...

I'm trying to have a more positive take on them this year. Your Japan trip sounded so wonderful - loved all the pictures! Amazing. Are you coming home at all this summer? I'm gone July 22-29, but home the rest of the summer. Miss ya!