Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!

Today is Rich's 53rd birthday! Birthdays are just one of those things that come and go as you get older. I think we'd just assume ignore them. Rest assured, Sarah and I tried to pull together a little celebration. I just want to publicly express how much I love this guy! I am so thankful that he is mine forever. It will take me that long, and even longer, to figure him out! Just kidding. It will take that long for me to catch up. I seriously remember when we were dating thinking how smart he was. He seemed to know everything, especially everything about the gospel. I could not believe that he had been a member of the church for such a short time. I was in awe that he gave up a full scholarship to Vanderbilt University to serve a mission for the church, at his own expense. I knew it would always be a challenge for me to even come close to his commitment level. Although we haven't always seen things the same way, the things that matter the most we have had total agreement on. I know that he loves me just like I am, but also has great expectations for me. He has such a sweet way of encouraging me to be my best. Those times when I was clearly unsure of my abilities as a mother, he was always right there telling me I was doing great. He understood when I desperately needed a break, and was there to welcome me back with open arms. He has always supported me in the various church assignments I've had over the years. He was most supportive of me finishing my education. I mostly appreciate his patience when it comes to my lack of understanding of all things technical. Most of those he comes in contact with have no idea how funny he is...he definitely comes across as the very serious minded, engineer type. Ah, but beneath that exterior is someone that gives me something to laugh about just about every day.

I wish him the very best this coming year. He gave me a bit of a scare about a month ago. He better stick around...we still have a lot to accomplish together. Our "grandparenthood" has just begun. We are going to be great! Love you sugarbear!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Rich! Hope you all have a great day!

The Real Sugarbear said...

Ok, so I'm a little behind in my blog reading and just saw this today. Thank you sweetheart for saying such nice things. The only thing you're wrong about though is that I really am a very serious-minded engineer type. Ahem.