Thursday, December 18, 2008

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things!

It's the Christmas season. I love Christmas so much! Every year at Christmas I hope to experience something that takes my breath away, something that makes me truly feel what is often referred to as "The Spirit of Christmas" and usually this is accomplished by way of music. This past Sunday I was home feeling pretty sick and did not make it to church. I did, however, watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It was fantastic! The story behind the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" was told. Oh, so good. I learned so much about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Also, this incredible organist played a solo. No music in front of him (which always amazes me!), and his feet were moving as fast as his hands! I've attached the link so that you can be as amazed as I was. WOW! is all I can say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-1nBDBapw

The next one of my "favorite things" would have to be my sweet, sweet baby Claire. OK, OK, she is Katie's daughter. She is so precious. We are so lucky to live in this day of technology and I get to see her via webcam as much as I want. Not quite the same as rocking and cuddling, but it will have to do for now. Miss my little one...
I love beautiful artwork. Some people are so talented and can catch so much feeling in their art work. I love this picture of Mary and the Savior. I can't imagine what she was feeling at His birth, knowing all that He would experience and go through in His life. Was she overwhelmed, was she just so tired, was she so worried, was she just so happy to have finally given birth? I am so grateful for her, for her goodness and her own great sacrifice. It gives me such hope.
One of my very special Christmas experiences occurred many years ago. I was a very busy, overwhelmed mom of four kids. I had just experienced a miscarriage. We had just found out we were moving back to Los Angeles. Life was kind of chaotic. Christmas was not too far away. For some reason we were all out and about going somewhere and the "Hallelujah Chorus" began to play, which is perhaps my favorite Christmas song. I could not contain the tears. The kids were terribly worried that something was really wrong and I remember trying to explain in words that they could somehow understand the peace and comfort that I was finally feeling...all because of the most majestic (in my humble opinion) of all compositions ever written. For your benefit, and just in case you haven't listened to it this season, I copied a link to the choir singing it. I'm not sure how recent this is, but it is most awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6H3crLzpg
Hugs to all this most wonderful time of the year.

1 comment:

Katie and joe said...

i think that my child will think her name is 'sweet baby claire' when she gets older because we all call her that all the time!