Friday, May 30, 2008

One of my Favorite Flowers!

A fun part of living in different parts of the country is seeing what grows in the various climates. You can grow just about anything in California, but I don't recall seeing peony bushes. It's also fun to see just what humidity does to everything outdoors. One of my peony bushes is so amazingly full of beautiful flowers this year. I could hardly wait until they all started opening up! So from this bush...

...you get such beautiful bouquets. When they open it's like they're made out of paper. Unfortunately they do not last very long. One of my earliest memories involves peonies. One of our neighbors we had while I was growing up, Mrs. Schroeder, had a whole driveway lined with peony bushes. She wrote this cute little poem and brought me a bouquet when I had my tonsils out. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but a sweet memory!

Another sweet memory was this old shoe. Several generations of my grandfathers were shoemakers. I'm not sure if this is one of their creations, but my mom had this shoe and always had flowers in it. It brightened my day when I found it the other day. I added some peonys and it sits in my kitchen windowsill.


8 comments:

Nana Shanna said...

Hi Lisa and Sarah!

Aren't blogs great! Mine is mostly about our grandson, but I occasionally add views on other things too.

Beautiful pictures of the peonies! Our rhodies are starting to bloom right now in Liberty Lake. Melinda graduates on June 7. Seminary graduation is June 8. Thanks for the great pictures and sending me your link!

Thinking of you!

Shanna

Haircutmom said...

Lisa...I love your blog...I'm going to put it on my favorites. It was so good to see you last month. We had a good time in Missouri and Illinois.

LinnieBell said...

HA! Can I just tell you I always thought it was a little weird you put flowers in that old shoe but I never questioned it because I figured there was probably a good reason you did that???????? There's always a reason for your craziness.... :)

love you! *linds

ps...i think you should have dad as a guest blogger on occasion...it could be fun!!!!!!

Erica said...

heyy i love you guys! those flowers are so pretty! marshal said sarah is sick!? tell her i said i hope she feels better! and im going to add you guys to my blog peeps so i can keep looking at your blog its so cute!

Katie and joe said...

mama and her flowers..... i think i got your garden bug, because i really want to plant flowers, but alas, a cement balcony is no place for a garden

timpani76 said...

Ha! I have tomatoes in containers on my back porch. Flowers can grow on cement, just in pots.

I love my peonies! Dot just gave me some last year, and this was the first year I got to see them bloom.

Amanda said...

I am so jealous! Peonies are some of my favorites and those are just beautiful! I can't wait to get started on our yard work--maybe I'll plant peonies-if they grow here? Love the shoe--what a great memory!

jon and kir said...

Peonies are my favorite!! I have a few bushes in my backyard!! They are so beautiful!!