Saturday, March 28, 2009

Detroit Surprise!

A fun little tribute to my sister Mary and her good husband David. My oldest sister, Sharon, and I decided to pay Mary a surprise visit for her birthday this past week. David did a great job keeping the whole thing a secret. She was quite surprised, and for someone who apparently doesn't like surprises at all, she handled it very well.
Cute picture from their wedding, I think in 1964. Mary left for college the year that I was born and so most of our interactions that I remember have been for one week stays here and there, but she's always fun to be around. She knows everything about cooking! I have never been to her home, which was on my "to-do" list for this year. Mary and David are quite the gardeners and spend a good majority of their summer canning produce and sharing it with their family. Her food storage area was amazing. I couldn't quite figure out how to get some frozen raspberry jam home on the airplane. I thought it might be considered a liquid by the time I got to security. Ah, but it was SO good. One of her sons owns a bakery and so I did manage to get a 2 lb. round loaf of bread in my carry-on bag...too funny!
Besides celebrating her birthday I had one "assignment" to accomplish while I was there...get Mary to demonstrate how she makes caramels. Mission accomplished! I think it will still take a couple of times to get them as perfect as she does, but now I know all of the inside secrets! We had a nice birthday dinner at Outback...yummy onion flower thing!
Mary has tons of bunnies and Sharon and I added one more! It was fun to put out all of her Easter decorations. She'll be finding things I hung here and there for some time to come. Love you sister!


No comments: