Friday, January 1, 2010

Moving Right Along Through October!!

I got back from my trip to Virginia to head into a very busy October. I got home and immediately took Sarah over to visit Carmen, our favorite hairdresser, to get her hair done for Homecoming! I can't believe my baby is 16! How could that possibly have happened so quickly?? Sarah has this gorgeous, long, slightly curly hair that I'm very jealous of!! Actually, all of my girls have hair that I love...it's all from their dad!!
What a pretty girl!! She went out to dinner and to the dance with a great group of friends, but I still think that overall she enjoys the church dances quite a bit more than the school ones...right Sarah?
And then the next day was her birthday. We found a great song...Neil Diamond's "Happy Birthday Sweet 16!" It's the best. We played it and danced to it all day long!
I can't remember if I mentioned our missionaries in a previous blog. I can call them "our missionaries" because they lived in our basement...makes them "ours"! We knew from the moment that we met Elder and Sister Hawks back in March that we had made a connection that would last forever. We watched them for almost 7 months work, work, work with members of our ward. It was amazing! We watched them sacrifice time away from their sweet family...missing babies being born, baptisms, and even a daughter's wedding...all to serve a mission. What an example!! Jenny is famous for her bread and cinnamon rolls...man, I sure miss getting a couple of warm loaves on my kitchen counter weekly. Elder Hawks is famous for doing hard labor of every sort. We took turns for most of the summer mowing the lawn...such a help to me!! They rejoiced with us at Marshall's mission call and all of our family events since March. And most important, they adored Sarah and treated her as if she was their own grand-daughter, which for a girl who has spent most of her life without grandparents, is something kind of special. Jenny bought Sarah a sweet necklace for her birthday that she'll always treasure.
Heather is also a huge part of Sarah's life...flute teacher and Young Women leader extraordinaire...love this gal!! Heather bought Sarah a bunch of socks for her birthday...perfect!
Our last Sunday dinner together with the Hawks...I can't even begin to say how much I miss these two wonderful people!!
One more time up those stairs and on their way!
Their car was filled to the brim. Elder Hawks was so incredibly patient as Jenny kept finding one more thing that had to go in. I lost track of how many boxes they ended up having to mail home.
October is big time Marching Band season. Sarah's team had a great season!!
One of Sarah's birthday presents was a trip to see "Phantom of the Opera" at the Fox Theater in downtown St. Louis with her good friend Hilary...too fun!! Hilary makes any outing super fun.
My good friend from California, Jennifer, was finally able to come visit me for a few days...we always have so much fun together. She has never been to the church history sites in this area, so we made the rounds. Our first stop was up in Carthage. It's super sweet watching someone see and feel the spirit of these sites for the first time. She loved everything!
Then on to Nauvoo. The weather was a bit cool and rainy, but the leaves were SO pretty. I love the Nauvoo Temple and never tire of visiting.
Ah, so pretty! We spent the night at the Willard Richards Inn and had the whole place to ourselves...very fun.
Then over to Independence and Liberty Jail, where the prophet Joseph spent that awful winter. I love this scripture from that time period. "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands."
And then while in the Kansas City area we went to Time Out For Women...yay! Way fun!! It was a lot to do in such a short time and now she knows she has to bring her family back. Love spending time and catching up with good friends!

No comments: