Friday, January 1, 2010

September Trip with Lindsay-Loo!!

Lindsay and I had a great trip in late September/early October to the East Coast. We met in St. Louis and then flew together to Baltimore where my oldest sister Sharon picked us up...and then we headed to antique country in Pennsylvania! This was Lindsay's first real "let's go antiquing" experience. I think she couldn't believe that it could actually go on for 5 days! Sharon knows everything "antique" and I always feel confident in her opinion of whether something is a good buy or not.
Add my niece Pammy into the antiquing adventure and it becomes a real "trip"!!
Pammy is all about pink, leopard anything, Harley Davidson, and bling!! She's my niece that is 2 years older than I am.
How fun is it to have a birthday while you're antiquing!! Which is what I did. These girls snuck around to find a fun little something they new I'd love. This little chest is actually two drawer sides from an antique sewing machine put together...perfect for lots of little things! My sister Sharon, me, Pammy, Karen (my nephew Scott's wife), and Darlene (my nephew Preston's wife). So much fun to spend time with all these gals.
Couldn't pass this up! Yep, I know that I have one kind of similar to this, but this one is actually quite a bit bigger, has a lot more storage space, was pretty darn cheap, and is in perfect refinished condition. It's currently in storage at my sister's house...can't wait to go retrieve it at some point! Who will the one I currently have go to??
Ahhhh...live and learn. Whenever you go back and look at something several times and even take a picture of it...sure sign that you should have bought it!! This looks SO much like Claire to me and I really wish I would have bought it, in spite of the price. I'm hoping someone else didn't fall in love with it in the intervening 8 months and that it will still be at the Covered Wagon when Sharon goes back in April. One can hope.......
We were in one antique mall and this cute little lady was walking around pushing an umbrella stroller with all of her finds in the seat...I commented to her about what a good idea that was and she said something fun in return. As we were leaving, they were also. A young man opened the door for her, and her daughter (on the right) said, "Gee mom, when you're 105 people are so nice to open the door for you!" I overheard that and couldn't believe it...seriously, she's 105 years old and still antiquing strong. We decided to name her "The Antique Antiquer"!
My very handsome nephew Scott Carter...loved Scott and Karen's home!
Also got to stop and see Chrissie. She is Sharon's oldest grand-daughter (one of Pammy's daughters) and this past summer sweet baby Vayda joined their family of two little boys. Little Vayda is darling. There was quite a bit of concern about her kidneys...one of them isn't functioning, but she is very strong. A decision is coming in the future as to whether surgery will need to take place, but for now she's healthy as can be! I can't believe my oldest sister has as many great-grandchildren as she does...crazy!!
Once we were done antiquing in Pennsylvania we headed back down to Virginia to spend some time at Sharon's house. Stratford Hall, where George Washington was born, is a couple of miles up the road. I love all of the history in the area.
One day we also headed to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home...loved it and it was a perfect day! Again, I love the history and spending time with Lindsay and Sharon!
The area around Monticello is absolutely beautiful!
Lindsay and Thomas!
Another day we headed up to Maryland to visit the Washington DC Temple. I have such wonderful memories of when this temple was built and how we were able to take people through on tours before the dedication. Lindsay really enjoyed being there.
The way cool thing about Facebook is being able to hook up with old friends! From 7th to 10th grade I attended a private school in Maryland. One gal stood by me through thick and thin...Laura! Earlier this summer she found me on Facebook and we were able to figure out a time to meet while I was back there visiting. What a great friend she was and is!!
I did NOT make the same mistake twice! When I saw this window I stopped breathing for a minute (OK, a few seconds)! This picture simply does not do it justice. It's dark outside while Sharon is holding it up, but with light coming through it, oh, the colors are just so beautiful...all these jewel tones and colors. Sharon wouldn't let me bring it home on the plane...oh well. So it is waiting for me in Virginia also. I can't wait to get it cleaned up and hung in the perfect place. All in all it was a fantastic trip. My oldest sister is very much like my mother to me. She was always there as I was growing up and I spent a lot of time at her home, with her kids...sweet memories. One night Pammy and Lindsay and I spent a couple of hours looking at my dad's slides...Pammy has this cackle of a laugh that is just her. I can hear it in my mind so clearly.

No comments: