Friday, January 1, 2010

September!

Love the fall season...maybe it's because my birthday is in September. Whatever...this September was sure a busy one and here's a few highlights!
This picture is not quite in the right place, but oh well. When I got out to Utah Katie, Claire, and I did a little shopping up in Park City. Claire loves mirrors! I love this picture of her.
"Deer in the headlights" look by me! We LOVED Mary Poppins...it was amazing!!
Not quite sure when it was, but at some point I watched the Davis kiddos for a weekend. They are so much fun and I love each one of them! Kim and I are trading "services" kind of...she's Sarah's physical trainer and I give the older three girls piano lessons. Working pretty good! I headed out to Utah for a quick trip to help Lindsay at a wedding show she was doing at Thanksgiving Point...she's doing wedding announcements on the side. I crammed a lot of visiting in in just a few days. I was able to meet Holly's family - Chris' new in-laws. While in Bountiful for that visit I stopped over to see my Uncle Paul, my dad's last surviving brother. He was doing amazing. Two of his daughters, Christine and Pinkie (my cousins), live close by and it was great to visit with them. My Uncle Paul will be 95 (?) I think this month...wow! He served in World War II and this is a little information about his service!

Paul O. Huber joined the Army in January, 1941 and was assigned to the Field Artillery, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

On November 8, 1942, Huber and his men landed at Algiers, North Africa and captured an airfield. They fought with only small arms because the wrong ammo had been shipped and didn’t fit into the breaches of their cannons.

On July 10, 1943, Huber’s unit took part in the invasion of Sicily. During the brutal, six-week battle, Huber single-handedly manned a mountaintop observation post. Disregarding enemy shells raining down around him, he directed U.S. artillery on Nazi positions. For his gallantry, he was awarded the Silver Star.

On D-Day, June 6, 1944 Huber landed in the second wave of invaders on Utah Beach. Acting as the 9th Division’s liaison to allied paratroop forces, he forced his way inland to the French town of St. Mere Eglise and again was exposed to enemy tanks and artillery. For his actions he was awarded the Bronze Star.

At the city of Cherbourg, Huber helped accept the surrender of a German General and Admiral and the 4,000 enemy troops manning the garrison. Shortly after, he was given a battlefield promotion to Major.

Huber and his unit went on to fight in both the Huertgen Forest and the Battle of the Bulge. During March, 1945 his unit was one of the first to cross the Rhine River into Germany, utilizing the famed Remagen Bridge. He remembers watching the damaged bridge collapse, stranding U.S. forces in German territory. The University of Utah honored him on Veteran's Day this year, November 11th (also my dad's birthday!).

Pretty cool, huh??
Cousins Jayne and Lindsay. Fun stuff...Jayne and her husband, Ta, are adopting a little girl from Samoa. Paper work is all finally coming together and they are headed there during the Christmas break to pick up baby Poppy! Can't wait to meet her!
Love my sister Becky!! She always puts on a great meal when we come to town!!
That trip was just the beginning of a very crazy 4 months!!

No comments: