Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Love My In-Law Kiddos!

February 25th, 2010

There are tons of momentous milestones that come along while raising children. They are born, they go to school, they join a team, they spend their first night away from home, they drive, they go away to college...and somewhere along the line, they choose to get married. And who they choose to marry is definitely their own choice, as it was mine, as it should be. But still...as a parent, that part of the deal is pretty hard to swallow. There just isn't anything to prepare a mom for the day when a child says they are ready to give their heart to someone else...it's pretty drastic. Very, very fortunately for me, Chris and Katie have chosen partners that seem to fit into our family perfectly. As hard as it is for me to admit, I could not have done a better job. It has been so fun to watch them begin their new families.
This is Holly! This pic is actually from the first weekend when we met Holly last spring. To say that we were impressssssssed would be such an understatement. We adore this girl and are so happy that she crossed paths with Chris, even if it was in cyberspace at first!
Holly is an RN and is currently finishing up just a tad more schooling...so proud of that. She does hospice work...definitely an area of nursing that requires a special amount of love. She is just what Chris needs to push him through school. Geez, it's actually quite amazing to see how Chris is doing with an encouraging companion at his side. Great motivation.
Yep, Chris is a pretty happy man! They were married last November in the Bountiful Temple. Love it, love it! I look forward to getting to know and spend more time with my darling daughter-in-law.
Katie started talking about this guy named "Joe" She'd say things like, "I got mad at my roommate, so I talked to Joe about it...I needed to go to Wal-Mart, so I got Joe to take me...I had a terrible date, so I talked to Joe about it..." and this went on for awhile. And then it changed to, "So, Joe and I went on a date...so, I'm kinda liking Joe...so, when are you coming out here so that you can meet Joe?"
Needless to say, he became the love of her life. They are a great match. It's interesting to me that they are both the middle child in a family of five. I'm thinking that makes for a pretty easy-going marriage...both the "peacemaker" types.
Joseph makes me laugh! He has THE best smile. And he treats my daughter like the special woman that she is. They both have grand ambitions and dreams and I have no doubt that over time, with each other's support, they will achieve those dreams. Joseph is getting pretty close to finishing his degree at BYU and will go on to a Physical Therapy school...so proud of him. I'm very glad that I'll have a family member who can help me with all my aches and pains that inevitably come with the aging process. Oh, and with Holly being a nurse, I'm set!
I knew when Katie and Joseph got married that children would not be too far off down the road...and that was just fine with this Grammy-in-waiting! Joseph is a wonderful dad. I know that much of Claire's personality comes from her dad! She just makes me laugh and smile and from all accounts, is quite the little dare-devil that her daddy was. Surprise, surprise.
And so the reason I'm writing about my daughter-law and son-in-law is to let them know how much I love them and how neat I think they are...AND it just happens to be Joseph's birthday! Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Joseph, Happy Birthday to you! Looking forward to being out there again soon. Hugs to you both!!

No comments: