Friday, February 19, 2010

I Love My Siblings!

February 19th, 2010

I have an amazing family...the one that I was born into in September of 1960! I am the baby of the Ralph and Betty Huber family. I was raised in College Park, Maryland. My oldest sister (3rd from the left) Sharon, was married with two children by the time this picture was taken. Sally (on the left) was also married. Mary and Becky were probably away at school by this time. I have some memories of my sister Trish being at home...till I was about 8. And, of course, there's my brother Lowell, who I remember being with quite a bit growing up. While my older sisters may not have been living at home while I was in my youth, their impact on my life is unmistakeable. I adored them. And often they would come home just when I needed it the very most. My sister Sharon stayed in Maryland and was very much like my second mother. I spent a lot of time in her home, always went to girls' camp in the summer with her, and grew up with her kids.
This picture is dated 1962. Doesn't my brother just have such a mischievious look on his face??!! He certainly fit that bill.
In 1985 my parents took all the siblings and spouses to Hawaii for two weeks - no children. It was the first time that we had all been together for any significant length of time. I love this picture of Mom and Dad in their respective wheelchairs. We had so much fun, in spite of those wheelchairs! I think it was very much a highlight of their lives.
The times that we have actually all been under the same roof have been very few and far between. That's just what happens when the family is spread across the country and have very busy families of their own. At the point when this picture was taken we were spread out from Virginia to Michigan to Arizona to California and to Utah. The last time we were all together was at my dad's funeral almost 11 years ago, which is kind of sad. Our families have all grown and changed so much. I feel like it is my calling in life, as the baby, to keep everyone connected. Sometimes I feel like I do a pretty good job, and at other times I feel like I'm failing miserably.
We do make efforts to try and reconnect at least yearly because we have such a good time. Our tastes are so similar...yep, we were all shopping at the same store, but didn't realize we had the same shirts until we got to the cash register. We love to relax, shop, eat, relax, visit, antique, relax, swim and visit some more.
They make me laugh! They help me to understand my kids are totally normal, that we all have family issues to deal with. We disagree on plenty of issues, but agree on more. We are getting older! They are each moving much slower...I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not too slow yet. They just all better stick around much longer, because I still have a lot to learn from them.
Yep, I love my siblings...even this bearded, pony-tailed one. He has chosen to not have so much to do with his family at the present time, which is very sad. I do my best to contact him several times a year, but am usually not successful. He's missing out.
One of my goals last year was to go visit my sister Mary in Michigan. Pulled it off! Sharon and I coordinated our schedules and showed up on her doorstep for her birthday. It was super fun, and after her initial shock, I think Mary was very happy about our visit. She loves bunnies!!
Like I previously mentioned, Sharon is more like a dear 2nd mother to me. I still can't believe that she'll be 72 this year. She's such a trooper...I don't know how she gets done what she does. She has so many amazing talents, such an eye for detail. I love being able to spend time with her. Last fall Lindsay and I visited for a week or so...this pic is taken on Monticello grounds...it was so gorgeous!
And here's the most recent picture of a majority of us...taken at Chris' wedding. I am always so grateful that they make such efforts to be there for me, and be there for my kids when I'm not. I miss my mom and dad, but the "missing them" is often a little bit lessened when we are together as siblings. I look forward to seeing what "get-togethers" we can put together this year! I love each one of them tons!

1 comment:

The Real Sugarbear said...

I am so loving all these February blogs!