Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Love Relief Society!

February 21st, 2010

Today was a kind of sad day for me. I shall explain the best I can. Our women's organization in the LDS church is called Relief Society. Every ward has a Relief Society...there are roughly 3 million + members of Relief Society throughout the world. It is among the largest of women's organizations. For the past three years I have been serving as the Relief Society President in the Edwardsville Ward. There are 100+ women that I have had responsibility for in one way or another. And it has been such a privilege that I am so grateful for. Today I was released from this calling and given another, which I am sure I will enjoy and learn to love just as much, but in the meantime...well, for today, I'm a little sad.
As you can see from the emblem, the motto of Relief Society is "Charity Never Faileth". I have learned so much from watching the women in our ward. They are SO charitable! So willing to help, so willing to lend a hand, so willing to take in a dinner, make a phone call, visit a friend, drive someone to the hospital, comfort one another, celebrate and mourn together, to participate in myriads of humanitarian projects, to just enjoy each other's company, to increase our talents, and to strengthen our faith together. It has been amazing to watch and take part in.

I remember as a child watching my mom participate in various Relief Society meetings. I watched her develop strong bonds of sisterhood that lasted her entire life. I watched her develop amazing talents. She had moved far, far away from her home in Salt Lake City, and the women at church literally became her sisters! When I was a young married mom-to-be, Rich and I moved to California. I knew no one and I was scared to death! I remember so well how I was welcomed and loved and cared for in the absence of family. I remember how I had visiting teachers, ladies that came to visit me monthly or more, who watched over me and gave me spiritual messages. They were not particularly friends that I would have naturally gravitated to, but I learned to love and appreciate them so much. When my sweet Amy was born and I had no family nearby, my visiting teacher showed up and pretended she was my literal "sister" in order to get in, see me, and comfort me. I'll never forget that! She is a dear friend to this day.

In our church we all have the opportunity to serve in various callings. Sometimes we work with the youth, sometimes we work with the children, sometimes we work on other activities, but once we're 18, women are members of the Relief Society...and it is such a blessing. What wisdom the Prophet Joseph had when he organized the women in 1842! Women have such a natural inclination to meet together, to learn from one another, to bless and lift each other. How wonderful is it that no matter where I go in the whole entire world that I will be able to walk into a Relief Society meeting and know that I am loved and valued and needed and that there are sisters waiting to bless my life. It truly is an amazing thought! I LOVE Relief Society and treasure my membership therein!!

4 comments:

Polka Dot Craft Parties said...

I so agree! What would we do without our sisters in the Gospel! I so understand your sadness. It is a bond of love that isn't matched. I am sure you will be missed...but as I have always said, change is good: for everyone.

timpani76 said...

It's the end of an era! I know I will miss you in Relief Society standing in front of all of us, and I'm sure the other sisters will too. Try not to feel too sad :(

I hate being sick, I miss everything at church! What's your new calling? The Bishop told me I was being released as secretary, but he failed to mention the whole organization was getting an overhaul!

Porter Family said...

You were fantastic. :) I'm excited to have you in YW with me, though!

Susan Anderson said...

I'm sure you will be missed.

It's always hard leaving a calling, especially one that is so all-consuming, yet rewarding. But you will love working with the Young Women, too. That has always been a favorite calling of mine!

=)